Assignment – Consistency for Content & Terminology

Hey @MentalCrew and all Blockzero !

In our last Mental Mining Assignment we asked for your feedback on the new website. You came up with a lot of valuable input. Thank you :pray: for that. One thing several of you brought up has to do with consistency and the terminology we use throughout the website, the forum and our discord (see examples below).

The decentralized world is already a pretty intimidating place. It becomes even harder when we use acronyms or change these terms too frequently.

From original terms (Citizenship, XID, XLP, XSI, etc) to new terms (Yield Missions, Mental Mining, Spaceship, etc), we have used a lot of different terms during our two years together.

Examples from our previous discussion

Some of you already gave valuable feedback on the terminology. Let’s pick up this discussion and come up with a consistent terminology!

Teck5150
BGzetro
dshane
Quality_Butter
Panos
FrankDaTank
Biggles99

Blockzero Terminology Cheat Sheet

With this Mental Mining Assignment our goal is to come together and make the official Blockzero Terminology Cheat Sheet – a list that should solidify our brand consistency, be fairly easy to understand, and help new potential community members feel more comfortable in our ecosystem.

Here are some questions we would like to hear your feedback on:

1. What’s causing confusion?
    Are there any or previous terms/phrases we have used in the history of Blockzero that have been extra confusing? If so, please list them here and explain if possible!

2. Please make sure to keep …
    Are there any certain terms/phrases we have used in the history of Blockzero that really resonate with you that we should try to keep? Why do you think so?

3. How to call ourselves?
    As we release the new website (and discord) with a more space-centered theme, we thought it would be a good time to challenge our naming convention of what we call ourselves! We have been experimenting with Citizen, Passenger and Explorer. There are certainly other terms like Member, Crew or something else. Which do you prefer and why? If none of these resonate with you, please let us know what you think would be an appropriate term for our community members!

Reward

This Mental Assignment will generate a reward of 10,000 XIO to be shared between all Mental Crew according to their respective contribution. Please make sure to also keep up with the discussion points your fellow crew brings up. Only then will you be able to properly help award credits. Find out details on how to participate in this post.

5 Likes

Passenger is definitely not because I associate it with an outsider who does not take an active part.

I like Citizen because it reminds me very much of the space-themed computer game “Star Citizen”, but …

Due to the cosmic theme, I like the name Astronaut a lot. We can even nicely diminish it like “Nauts” - which is also a bit like Nautilus, which again coincides with Explorer. Smooth and tricky.

We can also change the Citizen’s Passport to Astronaut’s License and here we can also add some gamification (e.g. obtaining an astronaut’s license will require a short, easy quiz, and completing the “Hello Universe” mission will be one of the conditions) - here again, two birds with one stone because we can create more internal connections, consistency, the quiz element will also make the license more prestigious (and desirable :D).

Ever since we become Astronauts, “to the moon” will be a real deal.

3 Likes

I think we need to drop the X’s. Now that we are block zero things like XLP, XSI, XID no longer make sense. Liquidity providers or social initative are short enough to say.

I like the name Citizen it implies that the person is a bit more of a participant. I’m not really a fan of the more gimmicky type names e.g. astronaut as it ties us to a style, if we drop the space theme at some point in the future it would no longer make sense. Citizen shouldn’t have this issue as it’s not tied to a particular theme.

To connect to my first point Citizen ID (CID) would work instead of XID.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

If we are to think in terms of giving up the cosmic theme in the future, we will also have to change the rest of the cosmic nomenclature like “Space Invasion”, “Scout Force”, “First Responder”, “Zero Gravity” and the rest, which are more or less universal, but very fit the cosmic theme.

1 Like

One of the first things I noticed is that on the new website we now have liquid fire instead of yield mining/ liquidity mining. I think that the yield/liquidity mining and the mental mining are a somewhat similar form of mining (one is mining liquidity while the other is mining ideas) so the names should be similar, instead of having liquid fire and mental mining.

Yield missions sounds good as a general term for the ways in which you can earn XIO, and mental mining also seems like the perfect name to describe the old XSI, so I wouldn’t change mental mining for anything else.

Between Citizens and Explorers I like Citizens more, but Explorers is more in tune with the space theme, so I would rather go with Explorers. Crew sounds similar to a part of the team, so using it would make it seem like there’s not a clear distinction between the Core/Council teams and the rest of the users, and Passengers also sounds kinda weird (can’t put my finger on why it sounds weird tho, it’s late here and I can’t think straight right now haha).

1 Like

I dont think none of the terms are confusing because all of them explain what they are about. We as a community have just grown to accept xid,xlp and xsi over the year, instead we should just say xlp is now liquid fire and so forth and say there will be new ways to earn more xio .

I think we should keep the word citizen more than any other, we have already lay the foundation for our new layout let us build on it the space theme is unusual and it only means we can have endless possibilities.

How to call ourselves?
As we release the new website (and discord) with a more space-centered theme, we thought it would be a good time to challenge our naming convention of what we call ourselves! We have been experimenting with Citizen, Passenger and Explorer. There are certainly other terms like Member, Crew or something else. Which do you prefer and why? If none of these resonate with you, please let us know what you think would be an appropriate term for our community members!

The most appropriate word to use for our convention is “Citizen” reason being is because it is already being use and would appear to be accepted by majority of us, I also believe that every citizen should have a passport or otherwise they are just a passenger passing through.

1 Like

I have spoken to a few friends that I introduced to Blockzero and the main concern I have heard over and over again is how often the terminology changes. I would advocate for sticking to the same terms and focusing on not changing these over time.

It took a pretty long time to explain the concept of the XLP for example to my friends and they have only recently solidified the terminology in their mind.

The new discord channels can also be confusing. I as a team member completely understand why this was changed (to fit into the new theme) but when people see these channels I worry that it might turn them off from participating since they have no idea what these channels mean. This is what I have been hearing from the same friends mentioned above.

I am referring specifically to these:

I am personally a fan of citizens. I think the meaning behind this is very clear and there is no confusion here. It is a term we have been using for many months now and I think it’s pretty clear in peoples minds.

I like the word passenger as it goes with the new theme but I would not want to see us move away from citizens.

I don’t think we should use the word explorer in place for citizen since we currently have an explorers programme so this would cause a great deal of confusion.

4 Likes

Hello. I think the terminology is fine. All terminology when new is a little intimidating for most. What I personally think and I don’t know if this is the proper thread for it but here goes. This is all said with a light tone and not snarky or attitude at all just directness.

1. I have now bounced between two links and downloads metmask. I don’t know if I gained any rewards for the website feedback. My point is there is a lot of confusion going from the ape site to this.

2. I can assure you many people are like myself and won’t want to download multiple apps as there is always some phone clutter for most people.

3. It seems to me as a potential solution is all these subsections and links, which are amazing btw… Should all be on one site with one password to enter like a passport for citizens. Then one can decide how much they want to take part or how little. For example opt in to mental mining etc.

4. I see the social site is on a platform I’ve used before its ac2the best one out there so good on whoever chose to go with the social media site tribe was an excellent idea.

I do Web design and work online I’m not a super pro but if I’m getting confused and having a bit of a hard time navigating all these different spaces and links… I assure you the regular user will as well.

This all needs to be simplified very much.

2 Likes
  1. Whats causing confusion

The first step we should consider is what is the website for.
I understand that one of key aims of Blockzero’s strategy is to onboard more unique holders of XIO.
Therefore the website should be aligned with the strategic plan for Blockzero and should be one of the primary tools to convert people from the research phase into holders of XIO.

Conversion from research to buying is closely correlated to the amount of friction/obstacles that someone encounters. A poorly designed or hard to understand website can quickly turn people away. To reduce friction I agree we should use commonly accepted terms whenever possible and keep concepts simply. I acknowledge this makes it difficult to use a theme that makes us appear unique and different.

I think we should just use ‘XIO token holders’. The term ‘token holder’ is universally understood. The proposed new site on the landing page makes 2 references to XIO token holders but on other pages it then refers to passengers. Passengers does tie into the space theme but at the cost of confusing the newbie.

Although the previous use of citizen was an inclusive descriptor, the term citizen in not an overly common crypto term. The term ‘Citizen’ does resonate with the current XIO holders as they have come to understand the difference between being a passive investor and a citizen that actively interacts. But if the main purpose of the website is to covert researchers into XIO token holders then we should use the most common term.
If we want to make people feel part of a community this can be done via the passport section. We could explain the benefits of becoming an XIO holder and being part of an active community of XIO token holders.

We sometimes blend the terms - stake, providing liquidity and yield. I think we we only use staking in its generally accepted meaning - staking a token for a fixed or variable time with no exposure to impermanent loss.

Liquidity mining and yield farming are generally accepted terms for the same thing. Mission ‘Liquid Fire’ is confusing for a newbie as it does not clearly explain this process is Liquidity mining. I think we should stick to the common term and label this Liquidity Mining. In the Liquidity mining section of the site you can then weave the narrative around the space theme.

The term ‘Yield’ in the wider world refers to earnings generated on an investment. In crypto Yield normally refers to the yield you receive from Liquidity mining. I think the use of ‘yield’ for all activity based missions is a bit confusing. For example:

• when you click on the missions side bar it takes you to ‘Yield Missions’, click on Space Scout and in the text area it refers to ‘receiving compensation’ and in the bullet points it again refers to yield.
  • for mental mining mission in the text area it refers to earning XIO and in the bullet points it again refers to yield.

For all missions apart from Liquid Fire we should remove the reference to Yield and use token rewards or tokens awarded. This makes a clear link between performing a task and being rewarded for the effort/outcome with an allocation of tokens. In some missions the yield refers to $ but I assume the reward for the missions is always in tokens.

1. Please make sure to keep …
    Nothing

2. How to call ourselves?
    As described above we should use the term ‘token holders’ , although not very exciting it has a clear meaning that will be universally understood.

1 Like

This is a great point - if we use terms tied into the space theme then we either run with this for a long time or on the next refresh we will need to rebrand and reinvent the wheel. If we are trying to build an enduring brand we should stick to labels that can be used regardless of the prevailing marketing theme.

3 Likes

I think your first point is really important - new users have found it confusing. We need to look at the website from the perspective of a new visitor that knows nothing about Blockzero. I assume existing XIO token holders go to the discord to get information and would not visit the website at all.

1 Like
  1. What’s causing confusion?
    Are there any or previous terms/phrases we have used in the history of Blockzero that have been extra confusing? If so, please list them here and explain if possible!

100% agreement with @umarsa here, same issues I have had introducing my friends to BZ with reference to the picture.

One of the biggest issues we will have when comments start flooding through the channels is getting back to the original Objective, the explainer, and the link to the website. This should be a permanent pin in my opinion.

The diamond hands group currently doesn’t have an explainer in the discord title. For instance zero-core has:

whereas diamond -hands has nothing:

Easy fix there ^.

Lastly, I have no idea what XLP50+ is, this small group on the side of the discord bar is lost on me and adds confusion.

1. Please make sure to keep …
    Are there any certain terms/phrases we have used in the history of Blockzero that really resonate with you that we should try to keep? Why do you think so?

BZ Citizens. Which I think will be even more relevant and impactful when/if we have NFT passports.

1. How to call ourselves?

I have always liked Citizen as mentioned, and going to different planets fits in with that theme too.

Explorer has a nice ring too, but now I am instantly having to refer to discord and the groups to figure out what that even is! The point being, we don’t want a new name for each function/ yield mission in BZ. This will only add confusion, and initial confusion will deter newcomers.

A simple flow diagram might help which is a part of the website?

1 Like

I agree with changing the reference to liquid fire back to Liquidity Mining

Just want to start this with saying that I absolutely love the new homepage project #1,2,3 part. That’s on point. Also, did you lose the forum shortcut from blockzerolabs.io page or I remember that being there incorrectly? Some of the Mission buttons don’t work (Explorers program doesn’t open anything and all of them don’t scroll down automatically when clikcing get started). I’m using Brave.

Anyway, I haven’t been around for very long so my experience is kinda like a new person looking at it so here are my thoughts:

What’s causing confusion? Are there any or previous terms/phrases we have used in the history of Blockzero that have been extra confusing? If so, please list them here and explain if possible!

• When creating the passport, term XID seems weird, because why isn’t it just called Blockzero Passport. I think the confusion comes especially because the XID part isn’t between brackets and there’s no explanation for XID before or after that. As I saw someone recommended CID or Citizen ID to replace XID. I think that’s a good idea but since I don’t know that I became a citizen (because the word citizen isn’t introduced before) then it still leaves me confused.

• Wanted to bring out that some of the people didn’t like the Liquid Fire name for liquidity providing but I think it’s fine because it’s explained when clicked on. Also, it references a real world analogy (every spacecraft requires fuel) in the description so it makes it easier to remember.

• The passenger and citizen usage in the same context but in different texts makes you confused as to who you are. I prefer the word citizen.

I really like the missions part since you kinda know what to expect already when clicking on it. Also, I don’t know why but I like the phrases space scout and mental mining. For me, they give a clear idea of what it’s exactly going to be.
PS: I don’t know how many other projects that have mental mining but for me, it’s a really unique way to help you engage with the community so I love it.

How to call ourselves?

I prefer the citizens because we all know what it is and by giving out a passport, it kinda makes you feel like a part of Blockzero. Like it’s a little country of it’s own.

Consistent terminology is vital as we move forward but how new visitors to BZ access it will also be important. I should have raised this in the previous mental mining activity but scanning through the discord and previously through the old telegram it is pretty clear that citizens ask a lot of questions. A quick scroll up in any of the channels shows that many of the questions are asked over and over again. This outcome is the result of a couple of things - 1. People don’t take the time to do any research before sending off a message. 2. Discord takes a little while to get into the flow and it can be hard to find the info you need. For example information regarding Aqua could be in announcements, core updates, general, support, feedback, aquafi missions or planets - aquafi. To compound the issue the current website encourages people to join the discord to find further information, the link takes you straight to the support channel rather than the onboarding channel. To help reduce the repeat questions we could create a prominent FAQ tab on the website and in the discord. A review of the repeat questions received and answers given over the last couple of months would give us ample content. Apart from making it easier access info it should free up some time for the support team. The FAQ could also be used to explain in more detail some of the themes we end up using. For example a question could be - What does it mean to be a citizen

2 Likes

What’s causing confusion?

I am going to say this in the sandwich method. At first, as a newbie, I have to admit the website was a bit… Crowded. Maybe this impression was caused by the fact that I do not have much experience in the crypto world, but let’s state facts: everybody is a potential holder with the right set of information. When I discovered Xio I had to go through a loooot in order to grasp the nature of the project, and not everybody has time to jump from youtube to the website to reddit in order to get all the information they need to take a decision. I would suggest a friendly, bite size “beginner’s guide” on the front page, maybe with rewards to keep people in tune till they realize why this is such a great project. So yeah, long story short, we should put all the info in one place and make sure they are very reachable and appealing.

I do enjoy the new website tho, it’s far more intuitive and the theme is really attractive to the eye, but these changes may distract from the brand image itself(and right now I’m talking about the new terminology) although this isn’t a major problem as XIO hasn’t extablished yet fully in the market. However, this is a great opportunity for marketing because while you do these changes you always ask for feed back and you incorporate our opinions. You could market it as it is: a project where the community REALLY RULES. And not only this but this make us feel like we’re part of it. And who doesn’t want to belong? Expecially since the connection between us, the holders, and the developer is so tight. We all want to feel important, this would appeal greatly to anybody’s ego.

Please make sure to keep…

The new terminology sounds plain badass. We are the cool kids in the school now. Vortex and accelerator sound amazing considering the theme. “Yield missions” is also very clear and upfront and will cause zero confusion. Also, the term “mission” implies a challenge and we all love challenges.

How to call ourselves?

The ideea is to build a community and to make people feel like they belong. To build an emotional bond between them and the project, if you will. Passenger may work if you’ll make a connection as in “Passenger to the moon”, however it implies some sort of disconnection from everything else, as if you can come and go and it wouldn’t matter. Citizen, on the other hand, is far more solid in what it implies: you are one of us and we are a community. I believe though that the choice also depends a lot on the target audience judging by their social, educational and cultural background. However, from all the options citizens is the best as it is very clear and straight forward.

First of all, that is an important conversation to have to set the terminology once and for all, I am glad to see it raised.

I think the main thing that is confusing is that there are so many new terms, for “old” users, it can feel a bit overwhelming. The names in themselves are not bad.

I love the name of citizen, more than passenger. Citizen really resonates with the core values of XIO as a DAO, where everyone has a chance to contribute. It is also consistent with the notion of passport, which does not translate as well for passengers in my opinion. On the other hand, the term passenger could be used for the projects that join the accelerator (since they will get on board with blockzero).
Personally I like XLP, but when searching why, I think it is more of a habit than any good reason.
The most important thing for me is that, once we pick the new terminology, we stick with it, and make sure it is consistently used across all channels. It feels like the branding has already changed many times, and I have only been there for a few months!

Citizen is perfect in my opinion.

As a side note, with most of the new terminology being centered around space, it could be nice if the new tokens had names somehow related to space, so that they can be immediately recognized as part of the blockzero identity.

When creating the passport, term XID seems weird, because why isn’t it just called Blockzero Passport. I think the confusion comes especially because the XID part isn’t between brackets and there’s no explanation for XID before or after that

great point there mate. The XID is a relic that I think would be worth reviewing to replace too. BZ Passport, maybe BZP? Might even be able to make a cool logo out of that, any good at graphic design? Haha